Monday 20 December 2010

New Way to Look at Christchurch!




Want to know what central Christchurch looks like at 7am each morning?


Follow us on Twitter or Facebook to find out!




This all started on 4 September, the day of the Canterbury Earthquake(blog). We never lost the electricity here at the motel but when I walked out onto Colombo St. around 5am and looked towards town, there was nothing. The whole central city area was enveloped in darkness. Believe me, that was a strange feeling.


That started my habit of walking out onto Colombo St. each morning, usually when I got the newspapers, and looking towards the central city – can’t explain why, Christchurch has always just been Christchurch. Maybe it was just to make sure Christchurch was still there – especially since the Cathedral is clearly visible from the motel entrance. Maybe the quake has raised people’s awareness of the city they live in.


Now, each morning when I get the newspapers around 7am, I take a quick shot of central Christchurch and a hopefully topical part of the morning paper to share with everyone. So join me and enjoy the best city in the world 7am series.

1 comment:

  1. "Maybe the quake has raised people’s awareness of the city they live in."

    I know this has been the case for me. Until I saw all the buildings broken and cracked I didn't realise quite how much they were part of me. Now I pay a lot more attention to the city around me. I guess that's one good thing to come out of the quake - I recognise very clearly what it is I love about this place.

    I already follow you on twitter and I love seeing your daily 7am picture even though I don't usually comment.

    - Rumpelsnorcack

    ReplyDelete